It’s that time again. A year has come and gone and it’s time to start breaking making some NEW Year’s Resolutions. If you’re like me, just hearing the phrase starts a guilty feeling. That let down feeling is no fun. Banish the guilt. Statistics show that of the 46% of people who make New Year’s Resolutions only 8% achieve success at keeping them. Why is that? Could it be that we put too much pressure on ourselves? Do we have unrealistic expectations? All this hype about “New Year- New You” is just a clever marketing slogan. I’m pretty sure in most cases we are the same people the day after New Year’s as we were the day before.
Ghandi said, “We cannot, in a moment, change the habits of a lifetime.”
Instead of trying to do everything and expecting instantaneous change, why not focus on a few achievable goals? The key to success with New Year’s resolutions or developing any new habit is to have a plan and to follow through step by step, day by day. Grace is a vital part of the process. Nobody is perfect so if you miss a day, no worries, just REFOCUS and try again. With consistent effort, you will achieve results.
Here’s a list of the 10 Most Popular New Year’s Resolutions. I thought it would be fun to modify these for our homes.
1) Lose Weight– Declutter your home and simplify your life. Last year, this was my primary focus. Read the post here for ideas on ways to cut the fat from your home.
2) Get Organized– A well organized home runs much smoother than a disorganized home. I’ve written a whole post dedicated to home organization. My motto: “A place for everything and everything in it’s place.”
3) Spend less, save more –Make an extra mortgage payment each year. It will help you pay your home off sooner and will save you thousands in interest. Here’s an example of the savings benefit.
Your Mortgage Loan Total: $300,000
Interest Rate Paid: 5% ($15,000 annually)
Loan Term: 30 years
Monthly Payment Amount: $1,610
If you pay an extra $1,610 a year, you will pay only $230,731 in interest charges and complete your loan payments in 25 years. This trims five years off of your original payment duration had you not paid the one extra payment. You will also save $68,908 in interest charge over the life of the loan. Surely there are a lot of things you can do with almost $70,000 than pay it to a lender.
4) Enjoy life to the fullest– One of the ways I enjoy my home is entertaining. I love nothing so much as sharing a meal with friends or family. Don’t avoid entertaining because your home isn’t “perfect”. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Open the doors of your home and share it. The memories and the moments are priceless.
5) Stay fit and healthy– A 150 lb person burns approx 500 calories in two hours while vacuuming and cleaning the house. A clean house = instant workout.
6) Learn something exciting– Are you part of the DIY Nation? Need inspiration for a DIY project for your home? Browse our DIY board on Pinterest to get started. There are many high style DIY’s that anyone can do. All you need is time.
7) Quit smoking– Indoor air quality has become a buzzword these days. One way to increase the indoor air quality in your home is with the use of a hepa-filter in your vacuum.
8) Help other’s in their dreams–(I tried, really I did.)Make a New habit– Don’t wear shoes in the house. No matter how well you wipe your shoes on the door mat, you track in dirt and grime from outdoors. Dust, dirt and grit are public enemy #1 for a hardwood floor. Remove your shoes as soon as you enter your home. Doing so will not only minimize the risk of damage to your floors, it will also keep them cleaner longer.
9) Fall in love (with your home)– A home makeover can take YEARS off of your space and it doesn’t have to be a complete face-lift. Small changes can make a big impact. Try rearranging furniture. Shop in your home and move pieces from room to room.
10) Spend more time with family– Have a family game night or a family movie night. Whether you have small children, teenagers or are empty nesting, having a dedicated night set aside for time as a family is an intentional way to spend time and bond. You may surprise yourself and discover that you actually LIKE the people you live with.
Here at Textures, we’ve resolved to help Middle Tennessee homeowners achieve their dreams for their homes, one floor and window at a time. We are continually raising the bar and striving to deliver exceptional service and outstanding quality. If you are building a new home or looking to renovate your existing home, please stop by our showroom and find out how we can help.