Just what is a vignette anyway? This french term has evolved to have many different definitions but in relation to interior design it means, “a small grouping of beautiful items displayed purposefully to beautiful effect”. Vignette styling is an art form. A well designed vignette will be a focal point and conversation starter in your home. Here are some helpful tips to help you get started styling vignettes in your home.
1) Rule of triangles– Create a pyramid. Arrange items with the tallest in the center and smaller items layered around to form a visual triangle. Following this rule will help you to create a balanced vignette.
2) Use odd numbers– Follow an age old interior design rule. Cluster groupings of like items in groups of 3 or 5. This is visually more appealing and will have more impact.
3) Layer, layer, layer– A carefully composed vignette will have layered elements which achieves a multi-dimensional effect. Here this tablescape vignette has many layers with placemat, layered charger and plates, layered napkins, burlap ribbon, fall leaves, Indian corn and hurricane candles. 4) Use repetition– In larger vignette’s use repetition of common elements like colors and finishes to visually unify the whole arrangement. The eye will bounce from object to object. Vignette styling using repeated common elements allows the eye to make sense of the whole composition.
5) Carefully curate collections and de-clutter– Display items that are meaningful to you. These are the things that tell a story about who you are, where you’ve been, and where you’re going. The most interesting vignette’s tell a story about their creator.
6) Pay attention to texture, color, pattern, shape, and size– All 5 elements should be considered when choosing art and artifacts for your vignette.
7) Use symmetry and asymmetry– Sideboards, dressers and consoles offer a large display space so why not flank both sides of your vignette with matching lamps, candlesticks or sculptures? Symmetrical displays offer a more formal look whereas an asymmetrical vignette styling is more casual.
8) Use books– Probably the most widely used item in vignettes, books not only lend varying degrees of height to your arrangement, they anchor the space. Display art and trinkets on top of stacked books.
Above all, before you create any vignette, consider the space. How will the space be used? What is the overall style and decor? After you answer those questions, get your art, books, artifacts, lamps etc. together and using the tips discussed above, play with the arrangement until you have created a vignette that is balanced and tells a story. Trust your instincts. Choose decor that you love. ~ Vignette styling made easy~
What’s new underfoot, Nashville? We’re very excited about our newest line of hardwood flooring by Homerwood. What’s so special about Homerwood, you ask? Homerwood hardwood flooring is known for it’s distinctive character, natural qualities, premium craftsmanship, and one of a kind beauty. Like a true piece of art, every hand-scraped plank bears the style signature of the individual who created it. Homerwood is timeless and authentic.
- Enduring commitment to quality. Homerwood consistently delivers superior quality hardwood flooring products. Through an extraordinary work ethic and attention to detail they remove any defects that would damage the integrity and strength of the floor.
- Sustainable Harvesting. Homerwood is a member of Appalachian Hardwood Manufacturer’s Inc. and are proud to contribute to the growth and sustainability of our forests. In addition to stewardship of the forests where the raw materials are harvested, Homerwood is a zero % waste company. From the scrap wood down to the sawdust, all wood bi-products are used.
- Made in the USA. Homerwood hardwood flooring products are manufactured right here in the USA in the heart of Appalachia in Titusville, Pennsylvania. They employ local Dutch Amish craftsmen to hand-scrape each individual plank in the hand-scraped collection.
- Natural Characteristics and timeless appeal. Homerwood beautifully preserves and reveals the trees’ natural characteristics. Hand-crafted using the entire tree, natural characteristics may include open and filled knots, original markings, distinctive graining, splits and checks, pith and sap, mineral streaks, color variations and embodied cracks.
- Diverse species, finishes and unmatched style. “The unique one of a kind style is unmatched. The variety and quality of the finishes are so diverse that it would be impossible to recreate in a site finished hardwood floor. Their smoked and whitewashed finishes are superior to any I’ve seen.” – Andrew Denny- Textures Flooring. Premium flooring styles are offered in both 3/4″ solid and 5/8″ sawn face engineered and available in Aluminum Oxide and Oil finishes.
As you can see, Homerwood is something special. If you’ve been searching for a premium quality hardwood flooring product that will stand the test of time, look no further. Stop by our showroom and see the samples in person. We think you’ll get excited too. Andrew and Paul will be happy to put something new underfoot at your home.
It’s not too late to make the most of your 4th of July holiday. There have been many great decor and entertaining ideas shared all over the web. We’ve rounded up some of our favorite quick and easy projects just in time for your Patriotic Party! Hope you enjoy and have a safe celebration! God Bless America!
Windows are the eyes of the home. Through them you can glimpse the soul of a home. In Feng Shui, a home’s windows are linked to the potential to see clearly in life. A well dressed window enhances the views from within and without. In my opinion naked windows are like leaving the house without putting on your lipstick. Here are some important tips and ideas to help you choose window treatments for your home.
Consider the view – What will your window treatments be framing? In a space with gorgeous views and wall to wall windows, the draperies should not obscure or distract from the view outside.
In this space the floor to ceiling draperies are mounted on a continuous track and are fully operational. Opened they rest in between gorgeous arched windows and because the drapery color matches the walls they blend and do not distract from the view outside.
With a spectacular view such as this draperies are unnecessary . The smaller windows are dressed adding a decorative element but preserving the view.
Light absorption – How much natural light does the room receive? In bedrooms and nurseries it is common to use blackout lining on shades and draperies so that the room may be darkened for sleep and privacy.
The shirred on the rod drapery in this bedroom can be pulled back and swagged behind a decorative knob during the day to allow natural light and closed in the evening for privacy.
Window treatments are a cohesive part of the interior decor of this space. In this bedroom the draperies at the headboard of the bed coordinate with the draperies on the windows.
Unusual window size/placement – Is your window off center? Is your window too small? No problem, drapery panels can be mounted in such a way as to make the most of your space.
By cleverly mounting the tab top curtains in the center of the wall (instead of centering on the window) the homeowner is able to cheat and not only solve this design flaw but also give the illusion of a larger window.
Don’t scrimp on the trims and hardware – It’s all in the details. From beads to tassles to ribbons, there are many ways you can elevate a simple window treatment.
This simple ribbon detail adds visual interest to this floral printed window treatment. The tassled trim on this dupioni silk curtain is a graceful detail.
Anything can be a tieback. You don’t have to be traditional. I used the rope necklaces from Anthropologie as tiebacks for the curtains in my son’s room to continue the nautical theme. They were cheaper than buying rope. Since I wasn’t a sailor in my past life my knot-tying skills are non-existent. All I did was remove the bling, screw a cup hook into the wall and voila instant tiebacks.
I love this leather corset inspired tieback. It is in keeping with the rustic drapery and adds an element of whimsy to the space. Very unique.
Consider Custom Draperies and professional installation for large picture windows – Cathedral windows or palladium arch topped windows are challenging to dress. Have custom draperies made. It’s more affordable than you may think. Professional installation is worth the investment. You don’t want your window treatments to come crashing down during a dinner party!
Layer your window treatments – Get the most bang for your design buck by layering your draperies. Use your most costly fabric sparingly in the top layer to cover a cornice board or in a valence. Then your under layer can be a more affordable fabric, sheer or even blinds.
Use non-traditional fabrics – Don’t overlook non-traditional fabrics for your window treatment. Burlap is a very popular and affordable option.
Hide drapery hardware behind a cornice box – This is a great look and will save money as decorative hardware can be costly.
Inside mount window treatments such as roman shades and balloon shades are another affordable option for smaller windows.
Mix and match. You can mix both plantation shutters and fabric draperies. Here the window has a simple treatment above plantation shutters. The antique plates are a charming addition.
As you can see the options in window treatments and drapery styles are unlimited. How will you decorate the “eyes” of your home.
Textures offers custom blinds and plantation shutters at buy direct prices. If you’re shopping for affordable window coverings, contact us for a free in home consultation. We’d love to help.
~Beautiful Home Ideas